Womens Clinic of Acadiana
...delivering angels to you
4540 Ambassador Caffery Parkway
Lafayette, LA 70508
Michael D. Foreman, M.D.
Timothy D. Keeler, M.D.
Russell T. Phelps, M.D.
Lewis W. Hill, M.D.
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE THIS OFFICE WILL REMAIN OPEN FOR PATIENTS ONLY
Nutrition for Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy
Nutrition for Nausea and Vomiting During PregnancyNausea and vomiting symptoms are extremely common during the 1st three months of pregnancy due to changing hormones. Following are some suggestions to help with these symptoms.
1. Symptoms seemed more pronounced when the stomach is empty. Eating frequently (every 1 ½ - 2 hours) in small amounts will keep the nausea to a minimum.
2. Separate liquids from solid foods – if you drink something, don’t eat for at least 30 minutes.
3. Carbohydrates and starches are the most popular foods.
4. High fat, spicy, or gaseous foods are not tolerated well.
5. Citrus fruits and drinks usually have too much acid.
6. Vitamins are important. If you can tolerate prenatal vitamins, they should be taken daily with solid foods.
7. Folic acid (0.4-1mg average) is recommended daily. This is available in the prenatal vitamins or may be taken separately.
8. Centrum or two children’s chewable vitamins may be taken daily if other vitamins cannot be tolerated.
9. Vitamin B-6, 50-100mg twice daily or vitamin B-6, 25mg four times every day can decrease nausea (must take 2 times every day).
10. Motion sickness or sea sick bands can be purchased at drug stores and dive shops.
11. Keep some type of dry food next to your bed if you get up during the night or when you wake up in the morning.
12. Try eating lemon drops, mints, and foods and drinks containing ginger (i.e. ginger ale, ginger snaps).
Some women require prescription medication or hospitalization if symptoms are severe. Please feel free to call if vomiting is excessive.
SOME POPULAR FOOD AND DRINK IDEAS
Melba Toast/Graham Crackers
Bagels – Plain or with Cream Cheese
Peeled Apples/Apple Sauce/Watermelon
Dry Cereals – Cheerios/Rice Chex
Rice/Noodles/Baked or Boiled Potatoes
Oodles of Noodles
Macaroni and Cheese
Tuna/Chicken – Baked or Grilled